Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Isn't this just a debate?

Well today was interesting for a variety of reasons. First of all, as usual I was operating on about 5 hours of sleep which this time I attribute to the evilness of Yahoo. If you've ever read The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People you'll remember that Stephen Covey talks about how things are important, urgent, or some combination of the two. Well for me, email and IM's are both urgent and important and must be answered immediately. So even though I had every intention of reading as soon as I got home I ended up chatting with friends on Yahoo until about 9:30 when I finally just had to let Tina take over so I could get my reading done. I started reading the Shell Global Scenarios and when I woke up about 20 minutes later I was disappointed to find that I was still at the same place I was when I fell asleep.

Anyway, the most interesting class today was the Globalization class. That one is usually fun anyway because we just debate each other and I really like to debate alternate point of views. So I decided to take a stand and state that I felt morals were a universal concept and should apply everywhere and in every situation. And wow, did that get some people fired up! Now in my defense what I was trying to say was that I felt my morals applied universally in every situation that I am involved in, but it was much more fun to let people get riled up over the whole universal piece so I didn't bring that up. I'll admit that I tend to be an instigator sometimes but it's all in fun :)



The class debate was fun too as some people really get into it. Of course, as expected, Philippe opened with a speech that sounded as if he had prepared it days ago with the help of his researchers. Always hard to follow him because he does it quite well. But it wasn't long before people started to really fight for their point of view. Caroline was in the farmer group and at one point I thought she was about to come over the desk (ok, not really but she was pretty fired up!) I'm not sure if we settled anything but it was fun to see everyone argue their point of view.

Ok, enough for now...I need to go read tonight's homework because I'm going to attempt to install the toilet in the downstairs bathroom tonight so people don't have to go outside :)

No comments: