Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Power napping

I am a huge advocate of the 20-30 minute power nap. However I think the timing of it is important too. I was studying accounting last and decided I needed a nap. So I took a 30 minute nap at about 7pm. Good idea? Not so much. I was very refreshed but the problem was I was still wide awake at 1am last night when I finally forced myself to go to bed. So I'm pretty tired this morning and not doing a very good job of concentrating (as evidenced by the fact I'm typing this instead of paying attention in DA....). Oh well :) Here is a great page about naps:

http://www.mensjournal.com/healthFitness/0601/napping_power.html


How Long Is A Good Nap?
THE NANO-NAP: 10 to 20 seconds Sleep studies haven't yet concluded whether there are benefits to these brief intervals, like when you nod off on someone's shoulder on the train.
THE MICRO-NAP: two to five minutes Shown to be surprisingly effective at shedding sleepiness.
THE MINI-NAP: five to 20 minutes Increases alertness, stamina, motor learning, and motor performance.
THE ORIGINAL POWER NAP: 20 minutesIncludes the benefits of the micro and the mini, but additionally improves muscle memory and clears the brain of useless built-up information, which helps with long-term memory (remembering facts, events, and names).
THE LAZY MAN'S NAP: 50 to 90 minutesIncludes slow-wave plus REM sleep; good for improving perceptual processing; also when the system is flooded with human growth hormone, great for repairing bones and muscles.

No comments: